8 Non-Toxic Sunscreens To Protect You This Summer
Protecting yourself from the sun is important year round but during the summer months, we tend to spend more time outside, exposing ourselves to more harmful UVA and UVB rays. Sunscreen shouldn't be your first line of defense against the sun, but most people consider it the easiest and best way to get the most coverage.
There is more to look at on your sunscreen's label than just the SPF though. Many sunscreens contain harmful chemicals that are meant to help the product adhere to the skin. These chemicals are then absorbed into the skin and can often be measured in urine, blood, and even breast milk. Spray sunscreens can also be inhaled, impacting the lungs and other internal organs, not to mention the environmental effects.
With that in mind, there are many brands that are non-toxic and have high scores according to the Environmental Working Group which rates them on a scale of 1 to 10. 1 being the cleanest and 10 being the most toxic. The following brands that we have listed all scored a 1 on EWG's scale. Now get outside, and have some fun!
1. Beautycounter Mineral Sunscreen | $39.00 - 1 on the EWG scale.
3. Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sport Sunscreen | $16.00 - 1 on the EWG scale
4. Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Dry-Touch Sunscreen, SPF 30 | $8.97 - 1 on the EWG scale
5. Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen | $32.00 - 1 on the EWG scale
6. True Natural ACTIVE SPF 30, Antioxidant Sunscreen | $13.75 - 1 on the EWG scale
7. RocketPure SPF 30 Zinc Oxide Sunscreen | $15.95 - 1 on EWG scale
8. Raw Elements FACE + BODY 30+ TUBE | $18.99 - 1 on EWG scale